Monday, November 5, 2007

Left brain or right brain?

I thought this was interesting. The very short verbiage in The Guardian that accompanied this picture said:
The Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?
If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.
Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.


I almost always see the figure spinning clockwise when I first look but I can make her change direction at will. I also noticed if I’m concentrating on something work related that she’ll start off going counter-clockwise.

**Update: I already had one person ask about left vs. right so here are what the differences are supposed to be:

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS

uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe
RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS

uses feeling
“big picture” oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can get it (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

2 comments:

Chip said...

And if you can make her change directions, what does that mean? Ambiguous thought?

Grrrowler said...

I think it indicates either schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder. ;-)