Monday, March 10, 2008

Catching up

I can't believe it's been almost six weeks since I posted anything here. It's more than time for an update. I also owe several people e-mails and phone calls...I'm already behind this year and it's only early March. My mother even sent me a message the other day reminding me that it had been a while and was wondering if I was still around!

So what's been going on to keep me so busy...? A whole lot and very little really. We had our friend Brian from Alaska visit us for a long weekend, and it was a very nice weekend. We didn't do a whole lot but still enjoyed ourselves. We went to the market, and then hung out at home much of the rest of the time. Of, and we ate out a lot (when do we not do that?). It was really good getting to see him and having him here.

Starting just after Brian left,Jayson has been dealing with more depression issues that, this time at least, stemmed from a bad bout of insomnia. It got him into a bad cycle where he wasn't sleeping and then being exhausted in the day, which let the depression take hold. It's better but the insomnia continues. This started in early February and got pretty bad by the last week of February. For anyone who's never lived with a depressed person, it's a lot of work. Not only is there the person to take care of but all the normal daily chores which are usually divided between people. It's not only double the work, but about 2.5 times the work. So, that's what kept me busy most of February. I think he's on an upswing so that's a good thing.

We also have had someone staying with us the last few weeks, and that's actually been a help. Our friend Anthony needed a place for a while but he's been a big help and he's staying around longer. It's been nice to have some of the pressure at home taken off.

Things at work are beginning to settle down for me. I hired someone to replace my Japan-bound former employee. He's working out OK but it's still a process getting him up to speed. It's happening at a reasonable pace so I'm okay with that. It didn't help during February that I was covering my job and his (before he was hired) and dealing with stuff at home, but enough bitching about all of that. It's all getting better.

I had a big "Oh shit, I'm getting old" moment on Saturday. For the first time in my life I'm getting glasses. They'll only be for reading and working at the PC but I'm getting them nonetheless. I managed to make it almost 40 years without needing anything so I won't complain too much. It will be weird having to wear glasses but like everyone else, I'll adjust. As my friend Wes said, "Pick the frames that compliment your face." That was a great example of stating the obvious (hugs Wes) but I hope the ones I got will look good on me. Of course, I can't help but wonder what body part will next need assistance as I continue to age...

We've been doing a lot of planning for our vacation this year. We're renting a 29' trailer and hauling it to Yellowstone in May, just before Memorial Day. We figured that we have my truck to pull the thing with and we've never been, so we thought it would be fun. It'll be interesting to see how well we do with a 20' long truck pulling a 29' long trailer but we'll figure it out. If we can find out way through the Italian cities we've driven through without having multiple wrecks, we'll do fine pulling this trailer.

The new sail for the boat is on the way (those who've read past posting will know what I'm talking about). I ended up getting a good deal on it so I'm pleased. Saving 50% on something like that is a great thing. Now, we're better used the damn boat this summer! I'm going to make sure we do.

We also passed the two year anniversary of owning our house on Feb. 14. I can't believe we've owned this house for two years; it seems like no time that we've lived here. Maybe that's why the carpets look dirty when I think they shouldn't. We still haven't even managed to paint any of the bedrooms or bathrooms. Maybe this year...

That's it for now. I need to update this much more often with more specific info instead of waiting until times like now when I do just a long rambling general update. I think I'll work on that. Work won't be too exciting this week I think, but I do get to meet Melinda Gates tomorrow. She's touring our facility and checking out some of the lab work since her and Bill's foundation gives up several million dollars a year. Should be interesting.

No comments: