Monday, March 17, 2008

Weekend wrap-up

The weekend ended up being more full than I had thought, but it was very good. Saturday we woke up bright and early to head for the mountains. Sadly we didn't get out of bed bright and early. After the ordeal the night before with my truck we were both exhausted. Once we finally hit the road it was a great drive. Up across Snoqualmie pass it was actively snowing, on top of the 10 to 15 feet of snow already on the ground. The trip across the mountains is really amazing in any weather, but with that much snow it was even more beautiful. We were headed to the little tourist trap Bavarian village of Leavenworth. We're there usually once a year, mostly because it's a nice drive, there's good German food, and it's a decent day trip in a pretty setting.

We didn't do a whole lot in Leavenworth other than wander around, browse in some of the shops, and eat. Of course, that's all anyone does there. It was still a lot of fun. The sun came out just after we got there and it turned out to be a really beautiful day. On the drive back across the first pass going home it was spectacular with the snow and bright sun. I found a place to pull off the road and we romped in the snow for a while. Heading back uphill to the second pass, which is much higher, we had to stop and play in the snow there too. It was a little disconcerting to climb to the top of a 12' high snow drift and promptly have my feet fall through. There was a moment of panic when I thought I'd be stuck but I wasn't. I finally convinced Jayson and Anthony to climb up with me and it was really fun just acting like kids playing in the snow. No one made a snow angel since we were afraid we'd sink in and not be able to get up. We stayed there until sunset and then headed down the mountain.

On the way home we decided to stop for dinner and of course we had to have margaritas. It seemed like a good thing to do after a fun day out, and it was. Anthony, who claims he doesn't drink, had finished three of them before I ever finished my one. It's funny to see someone who doesn't drink scarf down booze and not realize the effect it's having. Well, fun for those of us watching anyway!

We truly did sleep late on Sunday, then headed to breakfast with a friend. Afterwards we made a trip to the gym. It's been a while since I've made it a regular routine to go to the gym, and I hope that this is the start of a routine. Anthony is a regular at the gym so it's good that I've got someone to go with regularly, and he's good at training too. So, I now have motivation to go, and someone to go with. I still intend to go with my friend Chris as his schedule permits but there's nothing wrong with making it a threesome, or foursome when Jayson goes. I'm sore today, but it's a good kind of sore; it tells me that I'm doing something and it's having an effect.

That was pretty much the whole day Sunday. I did laundry after we got home and then we had dinner and watched Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Anthony had never seen it, and I'm not sure how impressed he was with it. Maybe he was just tired. Or, maybe he was expecting something else.

I think that's it for now. If only I could say the week would be as much fun as the weekend was...

No comments: