Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Wednesday afternoon rambling

Well, I've had lunch and I'm being very lazy right now. I've got work I should be doing but I'm just taking a break to think about my own stuff for a bit. I was going to post some rant about a couple of political things, but I'm just not in the mood I decided. It's been a busy day at work and, all told, a very hectic week. Jayson appears to be showing the beginning signs of feeling better, which is encouraging. Granted, there's still a long long way to go but little steps still count. Something he learned in a course a few years ago was to always look at "better than." I think in terms of better than whenever I can, and it's helpful. While he might not be where he wants to be or ultimately will be, he's better than he was yesterday, so we have to recognize that progress.

I don't feel like I've had much of a life lately; it's been home ---> work ---> home, repeat. I've been keeping myself pretty busy at home with some chores around there that have been needing to be done, like the banister on the stairs about to fall down. It's nice to get those things done if nothing else. I've been trying to spend more time reading, and I just can't seem to do it. I started a book my mother gave me called The Piano Tuner. The story is set in the mid-late 19th century and is about a piano tuner (imagine that) who travels to Burma to meet up with a British officer to tune a piano. It appears as though the officer will be using music to help bring peace to the area. Apparently the story will deal with pitfalls of empire-building, some historical facts, and who knows what else. From what I've read (up to page 37…oh boy!) it seems interesting so far. Maybe I can find some time to get further into it soon.

I signed up with a gym this week. I'm not sure it was the best idea with Jayson currently between jobs, but I think I'll enjoy it for my own sake and sanity. I'm going to do a few sessions with a trainer to get myself back into the mindset of working out, and also to refresh my memory on what to do. After that I'm hoping to have B and/or C as workout partners. Should be fun spending time, plus also having at least one regular workout buddy. In time I expect Jayson to go too but he's not ready for that yet. I'm looking forward to it since I've had body image issues all my life and even if I don't see major changes, working on change should help with that.

We're getting a houseguest this weekend. B is coming down from Anchorage and I'm really looking forward to it. We don't have any real plans yet, but we'll just hang out, do a little sightseeing with him, or whatever else sounds like fun. He's been here before I believe but I'm not sure how much he's seen. In any event, it should be a nice weekend.

Reading through news today a link to a link to a link led me to
this. Vaginal-American? I guess I should start referring to myself as a Penile-American. The only problem with the logic of these talking heads is that there is a larger population of women in this country than men. They should be concerned about that voting block instead of belittling its members.

It's interesting to note how the right-wingnuts keep trying to find new reasons to oppose marriage equality as the idea catches on more and more around the country. In this piece  a pychologist trots out the defense of children to further their cause.  Responding to the five reasons listed in the article is very easy:

1: What about single-parent families?
2: What about single-parent families?
3: What about single-parent families?
4: Sexual confusion? It's been shown that children of same-sex couples are much more well-adjusted sexually than many children of opposite-sex couples. And yes, all choices are equally acceptable and desirable.
5: This is a slippery slope argument. One thing does not necessarily lead to or endorse another. Just shows what a weak argument she has.

I think that's all I've got at the moment. Hope everyone out there is well.

No comments: